To celebrate the return of Mad Men‘s fourth season and our move from the Upper East Side to Midtown West, we threw a Mad Men party with favors and decor that would rival Betty Draper’s. Selections from our cocktail menu listed below.
- Martini: 3 oz gin, 1 dash dry vermouth
- Tom Collins: 2 oz gin, 1/2 oz lemon, 1 tsp sugar. Garnish with a lemon and maraschino cherry.
- Vodka Gimlet: 1 oz lime juice, 1 1/2 oz vodka, 1 tsp powdered sugar
- Old Fashioned: 2 oz bourbon, 2 dashes Angostura bitters, 1 splash water, 1 tsp sugar, 1 maraschino cherry, 1 orange wedge
- Whiskey Sour: 2 oz blended whiskey: Juice of 1 1/2 lemons, 1/2 tsp powdered sugar, 1 cherry, 1/2 slice lemon
- Manhattan: 2 oz blended whiskey, 1/2 oz sweet vermouth, 1/2 oz dry vermouth, 1 dash bitters
- Camembert, cucumber spread, and crackers
- Peanut butter bon bons
- Bite size donuts
To help everyone set their machine machines back to the 1960’s, we purchased several decorations and favors (that actually ended up as permanent fixtures in our apartment):
- Posters from the era, including the “JFK for President” poster ($16.48 on Amazon)
- Candy cigs ($9.99 for a pack on Amazon)
- Decanter and glasses ($20.17 on Amazon)
- West Side Story ($10.23 on Amazon) and Bye Bye Birdie ($16.48 on Amazon) posters
- Retro diner table and chairs ($135.47 on Amazon) with vintage napkin dispenser ($20.17 on Amazon)